About CBW Book Records
CBW contains 1271 entries for books in the bibliography of English-language collective biographies of women. The bibliography tries to include every known book in this genre published between 1830 and 1940, and includes most such books published before 1830 and many such publications after 1940. (We attempted an exhaustive list through 1950, but since the 1960s, publishing and women’s studies have both expanded beyond CBW’s current capacities to study.)
A Collection Record has
- The book’s “ID”: a unique number such as a102 (from the alphabetical bibliography, 1830-1940); c30 (from the chronological pre-1830 list); or p08B, from the post-1940 list, also alphabetical. See the link for Bibliography to access CBW’s bibliography website to browse the annotated entries on these books.
- The title of the book
- The type(s) assigned to the book: what is the scope of this collection? Some books are of “Not=” types: relevant texts that differ from the all-female, nonfiction prose narrative format.
- A link to the Annotated Bibliography web portal. Find out more about the book, and link to OCLC WorldCat and Google Books. HathiTrust is an excellent source of available digitized texts.
- A numbered list of the chapter titles, with the ID of the chapter. Click chapters to find person records associated with these chapters.
- The author associated with this volume
- Publication data: place, publisher, and date
Some Biography Chapters in these Collections also have
- Text and BESS “buttons.” This means that we have XML files of the text of that chapter. And editor(s) have created an XML document analyzing the various elements of that biography according to the Biographical Elements and Structure schema. Click on the buttons to read the chapter or to compare the text and the BESS analysis. See Biographies link above for more on this experiment.